COLOUR LASER - PRINTING BLACK USING COLOUR!!

TRIFLY 23:51 20 Nov 2007

Hi All
hope someone more knowledgable can advise - I recently purchased a Lexmark x500n multifunction colour laser printer - I had a big black print job to do excel and word - 2000 pages - i was shocked to see that - ok the black starter cartridge of 2500 pages was nearly empty- fair enough - but all three colour cartridges (1500 page size) were nearly all empty too - I hadn't done any colour printing but when i contacted the manuf they advised that the printer uses colour also to print black!! - it's getting returned to them - but do do all colour lasers do this - obviously this quadruples the costs of printing and has put my costing out of the window!! - any advice would be great - it's a network colour printer, with copier and scanner that I need - a fax would be great but not essential.

thanks in advance
Trifly

MAJ 00:07 21 Nov 2007

That would pee me off no end. How in God's name can it use colour to create black when there's a black cartridge in there? A cheapo mono laser seems to be your ideal tool.
I know nothing about colour laser printers, but is there an option anywhere in the settings to print using only the black cartridge? Does the printer still work if you take out the colour cartridge while printing only black text documents?

TRIFLY 00:16 21 Nov 2007

my feelings entirely - no bypassing the colour toners apparently - it's apparently something to do with the one pass system!! all a bit new to me - but no-one seems to mention this when you read the reviews(apologies if you have and I've missed it) never thought about removing the colour toners!!I didnt realise it was doing it until i reviewed the toner amounts at the end of the job :(

xania 08:56 21 Nov 2007

Do you have the ability to modify the print quality as you do with most deskjets? Certainly, the higher the quality, the more ink used, and it may be that your machne uses the colour to enhance the print quality. Just a guess.

TRIFLY 20:07 22 Nov 2007

thanks for taking time to reply - think maybe it does use the colour to enhance colour - can only do a draft as a choice for print quality - not great choice!! but thanks for trying

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?