Collecting Yahoo Mail in your regular mail client.

Diodorus Siculus 20:14 16 Mar 2004

click here

YahooPops can be used to collect Yahoo mail in your usual email program; it is free and very efficient. I hae used it for a year or so and while it is now only on version 0.5, it is stable and reliable.

Worth a look if you use Yahoo mail.

leo49 20:26 16 Mar 2004

I get mail from my private yahoo account via OE configured in the usual way so why would I need extra software? Is there something I should know?

Diodorus Siculus 20:30 16 Mar 2004

leo49 - I was under the impression that this was no longer supported by Yahoo. Does Yahoo provide details of POP3 servers or how do you go about it? I don't use OE but would expect that all pop3 compatible mail clients would work in a similar way.

Can you please give some step by step guidelines, or point to where I can find these? Thank you.

powerless 20:31 16 Mar 2004

I think RECENT Yahoo registers cannot get access to your email for already said reasons which have been mentioned on this forum many times before.

This software "gets around it" = Paying to access email from a client.

If you already have access to your yahoo email then the said software does not apply to you.

I deleted a yahoo account, created in 1998 I think and could acess my yahoo mail from OE with ease.

Now with a new name i can no longer access yahoo on OE and when you try to access your mail you get an email from yahoo saying "Subscribe".

No worries - As yahoo is my spam collectors email account!

leo49 20:39 16 Mar 2004

In the OE properties dialog/Server Tab for my Yahoo.co.uk A/C, I've got:

Incoming mail[POP3] - 127.0.0.1

Outgoing [SMTP] - 127.0.0.1

The "My server requires authentification" box must be ticked.

I just followed my nose when I set it up - I don't remember seeing instructions though I found the server addresses somewhere.

leo49 20:41 16 Mar 2004

That probably explains it - I've had these accounts since 2000.

VoG II 20:42 16 Mar 2004

127.0.0.1 = localhost (your puter) !?!

leo49 20:51 16 Mar 2004

That's what it says in the properties - don't ask me to explain it - you ought to know by now I know nothing[in a Spanish accent] ... :o)

Diodorus Siculus 20:52 16 Mar 2004

Thanks Powerless; that makes sense.

leo49; still can't work out your method. It would suggest that there is a pop3 / smtp engine for Yahoo on your local machine.

leo49 20:53 16 Mar 2004

I know a little after all - I know I was reading the wrong box! :o)

leo49 20:56 16 Mar 2004

I think it must be for the reason Powerless gave.Sorry for the red herring.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017