coding help IE7

mco 19:41 04 Dec 2006

I'm practising html in notepad and I'm trying to add a hyperlink to an image. I can get it to show up and work fine when previewed in firefox and opera but in IE7 I get the hyperlink and the alt attribute but just a cross instead of the image. Here's the code (it's not online sorry, just on my pc)
a href="click here"> img src="img\geog4usmall.jpg" width="87" height="90" alt="image link geog4u"> /a>

mco 20:20 04 Dec 2006

..that's what I tried in the first instance but it didn't work so I removed the /

mco 20:21 04 Dec 2006

just put it back and it still doesn't work in IE7

PurplePenny 20:25 04 Dec 2006

Just sticking my accessiility oar in here.

You don't need to put "image link" into the alt text. When deciding on the alt text think about what someone who doesn't see the image will see or hear: they already know (or don't care) that it is an image. You could make the alt text something like "Go to geog4u". (Some accessibility experts also argue that he "Go to" is unnecessary as the assistive software should make it clear that it is a link.)

A blind screen reader user on an accessibility forum told us that it can actually get quite annoying to hear "image..." read out every time!

mco 20:53 04 Dec 2006

Very grateful purplepenny - I am learning all the time!

mco 23:11 04 Dec 2006

It still doesn't work! I'm going to put it online shortly to see what happens - will let you know.

mco 23:11 04 Dec 2006

It still doesn't work! I'm going to put it online shortly to see what happens - will let you know.

mco 23:38 04 Dec 2006

Just put the site online click here and the photo link comes up fine - but it still doesn't show in preview -but I don't care now! Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017