Codec error in WMP V.9?

San Alwigi 00:50 11 May 2003

I recently downloaded some music videos in .avi format and played them successfully on a PC in Windows Media Player (XP, version 9).

I then burnt these files onto a CD and subsequently copied them onto another PC, also running XP and WMP verison 9. However, on play back on this other PC, the WMP player searches for a codec ('sending codec request...')but returns the message 'codec error'. The files then play as audio files only. This happens whether I am online at the time or not.

Any ideas why?

Zaxifone 00:59 11 May 2003

It is probably looking for the Divx codec. You can download it here...

click here

Z.

San Alwigi 12:31 13 May 2003

That has solved it. Perfect!

Zaxifone 17:53 13 May 2003

You're welcome... :D

Z.

San Alwigi 17:10 19 May 2003

...but whereas all the .avi's now play fine, the .mpegs (that played perfectly before) now appear slightly pixelated which is annoying.
Again - any ideas why?

San Alwigi 16:55 02 Jun 2003

er...anyone?

GroupFC 17:12 02 Jun 2003

I'm afraid I don't know the answer but may I suggest that you post your supplementary question as a new thread. The reason i suggest this, is that your initial thread was ticked as resolved, and therefore people who may know the answer may not look at a resolved thread!! (I only looked as I am relatively new to all this and I try to look at as many threads as possible, easpecially concerning media items).

San Alwigi 10:02 06 Jun 2003

I should have thought of that myself!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?