Code 41 - keyboard

Summermoonstone 19:30 01 Apr 2010

My Logitech keyboard has suddenly stopped working (have had it a couple of years) and when I go into Device Manager it says "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device (code 41)"
I have tried uninstalling and updating drivers (although that wasn't successful as I was constantly told I had the latest drivers - even when I had supposedly uninstalled them!)
I have seen your comments on other posts re Code 41 but they are concerned with CD/DVD recognition and wondered if those comments would apply to keyboard. I am concerned about going into the registry to delete upper and lower filters so don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary (and how would I get in there without a keyboard?).
I am wary of uninstalling too much Logitech software as my mouse is also Logitech and that of course is my only communication with my PC so obviously don't want to loose that.
I have tried plugging in another keyboard and that doesn't work either - still giving the Code 41 warning.
Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Technotiger 19:42 01 Apr 2010

click here

Or ...

I assume your Logitec keyboard and the other one you tried were both USB - if that is the case, try a PS2 keyboard.

Summermoonstone 20:15 01 Apr 2010

Thanks for this Technotiger. These pages are very helpful - I have been going through them most of today! However, as I said, very wary of going into registry and just wanted some reassurance this should work for keyboard as well as cd/dvd. The odd thing is that the computer and "close down" buttons works on the keyboard but nothing else! You are quite right - both keyboards are USBs. I will try a PS2 if I can find an adaptor (or buy one tomorrow). Thanks a lot for your quick response

Technotiger 20:19 01 Apr 2010

BTW - before connecting or disconnecting a PS2 keyboard, the computer must be switched off!

Summermoonstone 22:21 01 Apr 2010

Thanks a lot - will let you know how I get on

Summermoonstone 10:54 02 Apr 2010

Well it would have been a good plan! I had a PS2 adaptor and all was well until we went to the back of the PC to find there were no PS2 ports on it!! Back to the drawing board I'm afraid.
In my above post I said that the "computer button" works - what I meant was the calculator button!
As you can tell this is really getting to me so any other ideas would be very much appreciated.
Thanks a lot

oldbeefer3 11:09 02 Apr 2010

Clutching at straws, but I would try uninstalling the keyboard (in device manager), shutdown and restart the computer and let windows find the keyboard and it will then install the driver. Worth a try, perhaps.

Summermoonstone 11:22 02 Apr 2010

Hi Oldbeefer. Yes I have tried that but it sends me round in circles! I unstall the keyboard in device manager (even unplug the keyboard at times) shutdown/restart. Try to reinstall drivers but it tells me I already have the most up to date drivers so can't install any more - then get error 41! Tried this several times yesterday, even tried plugging in new keyboard but was then told "problem installing new hardward" so that didn't work - Aaagh!

Technotiger 11:44 02 Apr 2010

As far as I am aware, every desktop tower PC has two PS2 sockets, one for mouse, the other for keyboard. So what sort of PC are we talking about?

Summermoonstone 12:13 02 Apr 2010

Yes Technotiger - that's what i would have thought. It is only an ordinary desktop tower (Fujitsu Siemens) Maybe when I bought it I decided to forsake those for USBs - can't remember as it was a couple of years ago. Whatever, I'm certainly regretting it now!

Technotiger 13:18 02 Apr 2010

Maybe when I bought it I decided to forsake those for USBs ..........

PS2 sockets are not a case add-on, they are usually built-in on all desktop cases, whether you want them or not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache