Code 10 error

Biker Dave 17:16 25 Sep 2006

Recently had my back up drive fail with the result that it was unrepairable and I had to accept a new hard drive. The drive is a 300gb Maxtor SATA 2.I thought that all i would have to do is put the new drive in, boot up and all would bewell but NO! The drive is not recognised during post and when looking in device manager I have got a code 10 error in my SATA RAID controller. Have gone to MS help but no luck. Have tried to roll back, update driver and run registry mechanic to fix but still won't have it. The drive failed over a month ago so not sure if running any of the update facillities etc since then has had a effect? All ideas apprciated.
Dave

Rossi#1 17:20 25 Sep 2006

Does this help click here ?

Biker Dave 17:26 25 Sep 2006

Hi Rossi

Tried that! It doesn't apply in this case.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:38 25 Sep 2006

The drive is a 300gb Maxtor SATA 2

Was the old one a SATA 1?

Sata Drive not recognised by BIOS
SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

Biker Dave 21:56 25 Sep 2006

Cheers Fruit Bat

Previous drive was SATA 2 and on this drive there is a jumper to set between 1.5 and 3.0 transfer rate. The jumper was set to 3 not 1.5.

All sorted!:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?