coca spillage on laptop key board

madaboutplants 04:59 02 Jul 2010

pl can anyone advise me how to proceed? somebody accidently spilt coca cola on the key board of my daughter's Dell laptop. it is under warranty but not covered for accidental damage. she drained and dried the keyboard for 24 hours after removing the battery. it works but only when connected to the mains. my question is this - as coca cola is extremely acidic and contains sugar, is it repairable?i am thinking of corrosion over a period of time and the heat from the laptop which will exacerbate this process.i want to talk to Dell but i thought i will ask for help here first to prepare me for talk with dell.

ICF 07:23 02 Jul 2010

Can't you claim on your house insurance?

BT 08:04 02 Jul 2010

My wife dropped Ice Cream into her Acer laptop keyboard - very messy!.

We had to have a repair under warranty for another problem and they replaced the keyboard as well. Worth a try on the battery/mains problem which is what we did as the battery wasn't charging.

mooly 08:09 02 Jul 2010

As an electronics tech I can tell you it's almost certainly not repairable... I have worked on spillage stuff countless times in the past.
Any voltage present (laptop... battery... CMOS battery) causes electroylitic action that eats into components, PCB's etc very quickly.
Sorry it's not better news.

amonra 17:32 02 Jul 2010

click here

Have a read of the above, but in all honesty it's a new keyboard, or maybe a new laptop.

madaboutplants 17:59 02 Jul 2010

thank you Amonra. this was a very useful link. i have just been informed by my daughter that she did take the battery out and turned the laptop upside to drain and dry for 24hrs. she says its working but not charging, works only when connected to mains. i have sent her the link you have given.my worry still is how does one know that drops have not gone further into the machine. i am afraid to open it and my daughter is the same.all i know is how corrosive cola is.i worry about making my warranty null and void for future problems if i try to do something now.

but i much appreciate the info in the link. it said so many thing i had no knowledge of.
again many tks.

Kevscar1 05:15 04 Jul 2010

Can she try the battery in someone else's laptop. That way at least you know where the problem lies.

Silverworm 12:07 05 Jul 2010

Doesn't look good I'm afraid. I spilt orange juice on my Dell Studio but luckily I had insurance for it and they took it away to have a look and said that it was beyond economical repair and they got me a new laptop.

Like yours, mine did turn on afterwards but there was something wrong with the battery connections and the keyboard didn't work, but you never know what else could have been damaged.

madaboutplants 13:23 05 Jul 2010

thank you silverworm. unfortunately i didnt take out accidental damage insurance , just the extended warranty. but i have now asked dell to look at it and advise me. i am hoping to claim on my household insurance as we have a provision for it.
again many tks to everybody.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?