CMS - Without using tables

Ade_1 15:27 21 Mar 2008

Hi,

I have been looking around at different content managements systems, however, a lot of them seem to use tables for the designs. I am looking to use one to create a website, however, I don't want to have to use tables, instead I want to use CSS and obviously PHP or whatever depending on the CMS itself.

The website that I need to create won't be anything like a blog, purely a website that the person I am creating it for can edit it themselves. I know that there are options such as WordPress or Joomla, but WordPress is too much like a blogging engine and Joomla appears to need to use tables...

If anyone can suggest a decent CMS that has the ability to accept templates in CSS and not tables then I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Ade_1

mco 16:10 21 Mar 2008

configure a wordpress site to make it look much more like a website and not a 'blogging engine' you know - as you can edit css/php

Ade_1 20:38 21 Mar 2008

Yeah, I had thought about that, but I find it quite complex to build themes on. Thinking about it, and looking at the themes and how they're built it's a very logical way of doing it and shouldn't really be an issue, but sometimes I just can't get my head round it.

I already have some experience of WordPress as I have a blog but never created my own theme see. I'll definitely look into how to create one though and take it from there.

Thanks mco.

beynac 22:58 21 Mar 2008

If you want the site owner to be able to amend or add content, you could build it yourself using PHP and MySQL. You don't have to use a proprietary program.

You build the basic page and then the content can be placed wherever you want it in that page. The content is held in a MySQL database which can be updated by the owner using PHP.

I would be happy to help you with this, but this forum is not suitable for posting lots of code. If you want to send me a pm (via yellow envelope) I can show you an example of what can be done and send you the code for the pages. Obviously, this will only work if the website's hosting package provides PHP and MySQL.

ElanMan 16:56 22 Mar 2008

Hi Ade_1,
A good tutorial for creating your own wordpress theme can be found at click here
Not knowing your level of competence, it might be a bit basic for you but it's worth a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone