CMOS Help

gill 10:09 16 Sep 2005

Hi all,
I am have a problem with my computer when I boot up it stops and I get a "CMOS SETTING WRONG" and "CMOS Memory size wrong" "Press F1 to run setup or Press F2 to load default values"
If I press F2 it does load but takes four and a half minutes to load.I also got a notice at the bottom of the screen saying "INTERNAL VIRUS DATABASE:- Date of internal virus database is incorrect" I note that the clock is wrong and the date is set at December 2001.I have an AMD 1900 and Windows XP (home). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gill

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:19 16 Sep 2005

How old is the PC sounds like CMOS battery failing,

Very easy to replace and shouldn't cost more than a couple of quid.

CMOS Battery
click here

keith-236785 10:32 16 Sep 2005

i agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\, only other thing it could be is the jumper is across the clear cmos pins but if this has only just started happening on an old pc it wont be that (normally happens when installing a new motherboard, they are shipped (most of them) with the clear cmos jumper in place)

go with fruit's advice, battery about £1 from cheap shops (B&M, Poundstretcher, pound shops) expect to pay £5 if you goto pcworld or staples (£3.99) last time i checked

turn pc off, unplug it, find the battery, flip it out with a small screwdriver (please take care not to tourch anything else) then push the new one in, plug in and turn on....you will get the message ONE more time.

good luck

gill 11:02 16 Sep 2005

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ & paperman27.
I will give it a whirl.Keep your fingers crossed for me. Gill

gill 12:33 16 Sep 2005

Hi folks, I have just replaced the battery and rebooted, set the "time and date" several times but the problem still exists.Each time I get it to reboot I have to put in the time & date.On a couple of occasions my monitor has gone to sleep and I have to start over from the beginning.
Any further suggestions would be most welcome.Gill

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:53 16 Sep 2005

You have to save the settings before leaving the BIOS it probably the F10 key and select yes to save settings.

gill 14:47 16 Sep 2005

Thanks a million. you are a star. In my ignorance I thought that windows would upgrade the Cmos after putting the clock and date right.
I have now saved in the Cmos set up and all seems well again. Thanks again. Gill.

keith-236785 01:41 17 Sep 2005

something so simple and sooooo easy to miss, thanks for coming back and letting us know what it was. it might help others in the future

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?