Cmos Error

henry2 12:26 25 Nov 2010

Hi Guys,
I have this problem.My pc keeps on bringing some error messages at start up looking for floppy drive(although it has non).And also date and time.I have changed the settings in the cmos and saved it.
Still no difference.I have even gone for a new cmos battery but the error still comes up with my windows date and time always late.
Please what should i do again to resolve it.
Thanx a lot.my pc is a dual core with Win 7.1gig ram,160hdd.

birdface 12:31 25 Nov 2010

This from another thread,

click here

I had problems with a dell computer that was always wanting to start with the floppy drive although it did not have one and had to go into Bios and disable Floppy on it so not sure if it is the same problem.

birdface 12:37 25 Nov 2010

Looks like you are running on the minimum amount of ram for Windows7.

Microsoft recommends a minimum of 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit versions of the operating system and a minimum of 2 GB for 64-bit versions.

Now that should not have caused the problem but just pointing it out in case you want to add more in the future.

henry2 12:45 25 Nov 2010

Thanx buteman.Yes mine is also a Dell(Inspiron 530).Same problem as you are talking about(The same).It keeps looking for floppy although it has non.My RAM Is 1Gb and 32- bit Os so what can be done.
Thanx a lot.

birdface 12:56 25 Nov 2010

This is the help I received from lotvic when having problems with floppy.

To move the items in the Boot Sequence list you select the item and use the keyboard letter U for up or the letter D for down
---
You need to switch of the bios Floppy, Seek
Left column > 'Drives' and press Enter on keyboard
'Diskette Drive' > press Enter > select OFF (at the top of screen on righthandside) > and press Enter on keyboard > press ESC and exit Setup

Ignore the rest of the Drives, but for information the 1st boot device is listed as Drive 0 so don't worry about that numbering.

After it has booted up to Windows, close pc down and then reboot

Bios will now stop looking for a floppy drive and boot into Windows from your HDD.

birdface 13:02 25 Nov 2010

Memory just let it scan your computer and it will tell you how much extra your computer will take and how much it will cost.

click here

henry2 13:09 25 Nov 2010

Thanx Buteman,
I will try your suggestion even it is looking a bit complicated.But even my boot sequence chnges anytimetime i swith the pc off.i have to set it anytime i swith on even though i save it.it has removable as 1st hard disk 2nd and cdrom 3rd.I always make it hard disk 1st, cd 2nd,remvble 3rd but it changes itself after off on.
Thanx

birdface 13:27 25 Nov 2010

Just a matter of switching floppy off.
Now those were the directions for a dell optiplex 320 now your bios may be different.
Just a matter of looking for drives then diskette drive and press enter.it will probablt say on at the top of the screen and you have to move the arrows on the keyboard till you get to off then press enter.
press esc to get out and exit set up.
If I remember right it will ask if you want to save changes then exit click Y for yes.
I was also told to make D drive the number one in case you had to run the recovery disc.

birdface 13:37 25 Nov 2010

Now henry2 so far that has been my only experience of changing anything in the Bios and it went well.
So maybe best waiting for someone that will be able to give you the advice that you need.
May well be a bios update that you need but just wait till you can get better information.
Weekends can be a bit slow for help so do not expect to much usually Mon to Friday are better.
I suppose they are usually out shopping or doing the housework while their wifes are at bingo.
[Only jocking of course]

birdface 13:39 25 Nov 2010

Well seen I am from North of the Border.
Joking I meant of course.

birdface 13:49 25 Nov 2010

OMG.Thought this was Saturday for some reason.
not usually this bad but getting there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?