CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded

Jai 20:00 03 Mar 2006

Had this computer for about 4 yrs. Got message above for 1st time today.Seems ok after prssing F1. Using AMD 2000,256ram,80g HD, XP pro, Soltek M/B (I think). Checked archives for tips but could anyone confirm for def. what this message means. Also this week 2 "dicky" starts ie no display on screen. Should I keep an eye on this?

Totally-braindead 20:02 03 Mar 2006

Try replacing the CMOS battery.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 03 Mar 2006

CMOS Battery
click here

keith-236785 20:47 03 Mar 2006

as the others say, its the cmos battery. B&Q sell em for £1.99 if you cant get them anywhere else. dont go to Pcworld and pay a fiver. a local pc repair shop should sell you one for about £1.50 - £2

power down the pc, open the case, flip out the old battery and put in the new one. replace the case and power up. you will get the message again. choose the defaults and let it boot into windows. set the date and time, reboot, enter the bios and reset the FSB. it will have defaulted to te slowest setting(166mhz or something like that). set it to the proper speed to get your cpu to report the correct speed on start up.

that should be it, no more messages.

good luck

Jai 09:22 04 Mar 2006

Thanks for the help. Glad to know its nothing major. Built the system myself so I don't see any probs in swapping it over. Interesting article as well (with pictures).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?