CMOS Check sum error

wobblymike 20:31 14 Oct 2004

Hullo again

can you help - I have just finished building a PC from nearly scratch i.e the tower had a motherboard fitted and thats all. On completion all works well except that on boot up after being switched off overnight, the time and date are reset to 1 Jan 1997 and a CMOS Checksum error is highlighted - I reset the time and date and all is well until the next time it is switched off when I have to go through it again I have changed the CMOS battery for a new one without effect. Any ideas?

Mike

ICF 20:43 14 Oct 2004

Are you saving your changes to the cmos? Have you tried clearing the cmos with the jumpers on the motherboard?

ICF 20:45 14 Oct 2004

Have you put the new battery (and it was new wasn't it) in the right way round?

wobblymike 20:59 14 Oct 2004

ICF

Yes it is a new battery and it is in the right way round.

How do I save changes to the CMOS?

PA28 21:12 14 Oct 2004

Some motherboards have a jumper that requires setting to save CMOS settings (yes, I know most work the other way round!). I had an MSI with this - two pins had to be jumpered to ensure that settings were retained. Check your manual in case this applies here.

ICF 21:21 14 Oct 2004

You have not told us what motherboard you have?Or any other details (spec) of your system.

Ian

wobblymike 21:27 14 Oct 2004

I'm afraid I dont know - its a Pentium 2 400 Mhz processor and that about all I know. I will run Belarc Advisor and see if that helps.

PA28 20:36 16 Oct 2004

If it doesn't, whip off the side of the case again - you'll find the motherboard details are printed on it in most cases. Also have a look for the chipset - this is normally also printed on the chip itself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?