cmos battery

Chas49 21:21 19 Jul 2008

My neighbour hasd a problem getting on MSN Messenger. The Internet connection was working OK and, whilst I was trying to find a reason for the non functioning Messenger, I found that the computer date was set at Jan 1st 2003!

I reset the date and Messenger worked OK. I realise that the Cmos Battery needs changing for a new one, which, I believe, is a C2032 - could someone please confirm this?

woodchip 21:35 19 Jul 2008

you need to remove the battery to make sure

Chas49 21:48 19 Jul 2008

I think Woodchip, that if I remove the battery for more than a few minutes (the time taken to change the battery) I would lose my cmos settings - or am I incorrect in this.

On the other hand perhaps, removing, checking and replacing it shouldn't cause any bother - or would it?

woodchip 21:51 19 Jul 2008

As soon as the battery is removed settings are gone, but as the battery is down they may already be gone

woodchip 21:52 19 Jul 2008

As soon as the battery is removed settings are gone, but as the battery is down they may already be gone.

PS why not have a look in the BIOS first set the time to see if it will keep it

Chas49 22:11 19 Jul 2008

Thanks for your prompt replies Woodchip.

I have checked his computer again - some two hours after resetting the clock and find that it is still set to the correct time and date. So it would appear thet the battery still has some juice! But clearly needs replacing and that I cannot do until Monday.

I am a bit unclear of what data the CMOs battery keeps 'alive' - should the data be lost then how can it be replaced - or is the replacing just a matter of re-entering such things as date and time etc.

karmgord 22:39 19 Jul 2008

the settings will stay regardless of battery condition untill the machine is turned off and left off or a while .note down settings then change battery,if the battery was flat and lost the clock setting it would also lost all the other custom settings and returned to the default (safe) settings

karmgord 22:39 19 Jul 2008

the settings will stay regardless of battery condition untill the machine is turned off and left off or a while .note down settings then change battery,if the battery was flat and lost the clock setting it would also lost all the other custom settings and returned to the default (safe) settings

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:41 19 Jul 2008

CMOS battery only used to keep settings while PC is switched off at mains.

If date is lost then all settings will have reverted to lowest default settings.

Shuffty 22:46 19 Jul 2008

The battery you require is cr2032. Shut down the pc and unplug from the wall socket for a few mins and see what happens if the battery is flat all the settings in the bios are gone and it will default to
the original

Chas49 23:25 19 Jul 2008

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I thought I was close with the battery number. So, until Monday I'll not bother with it. On Monday, Maplins will be visited and a new battery bought.

Default settings - presumably the least data in order for the computer to run?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache