clunk clunk clunk

diesel1948 22:18 15 Jan 2007

My computer has started making noises clunking and clicking after it has been on for some time. Then it just freezes and nothing works. Earlier on I just left it for 10 mins and it started to do the things I requested after it froze. I have turned it off for an hour or so and restarted and it seems to be running ok now. Is it coming to the end of the road? what are these noises coming out of the box they are quite loud. It has done the crashing thing on a number of occassions now. Anybody know whats wrong? Terry.

skidzy 22:21 15 Jan 2007

Sounds like its time to make sure all those important docs/pics etc are backed up.

Possibly the harddrive failing !

Or a bearing in the fan possibly !

john-232317 22:23 15 Jan 2007

Open the case and see if any fans have come adrift or catching wires or cables as they spin. maybe that is causing overheating and crashing.

woodchip 23:10 15 Jan 2007

Hard Drive

Belatucadrus 00:12 16 Jan 2007

Could be harddrive, but I'd check the fans first, particularly the CPU fan as the freeze followed by reboot after time to cool has elapsed is symptomatic of an overheating problem.
Whatever you do backup all your data somewhere safe immediately, if it is the drive on it's way out, you never know how long you have left.

ForestChav 01:19 16 Jan 2007

Agreed, looks to be the HDD.
You could use HD Tune or Speedfan to look at the SMART, or if you tell us which make/interface it is, we can point you at the manufacturer's diagnostics :)

diesel1948 23:21 16 Jan 2007

Thanks for the info guys been busy away from computer check the advice you have all given and let you know the result.

Border View 23:27 16 Jan 2007

Hard drive on its way out. Whatever you do back up your documents/photographs files etc.

Been there done that got a new computer now.

diesel1948 14:04 17 Jan 2007

I am just wondering, is it easy to backup files, and where would they be backed up to?

Thanks

Belatucadrus 14:13 17 Jan 2007

click here for Winbackup free edition, makes backing data up very easy. As to what to back up to, I suppose it depends what you've got, USB stick, CDr, DVDr another drive. You could even do it to floppy disks, but you'd probably need dozens of them and it'd be a complete pain.

Gongoozler 14:35 17 Jan 2007

Hard drive noises click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?