Cloud computing recommendation

QuizMan 15:58 18 Nov 2010

I have agreed to assist with the running of the membership list at my athletics club, currently about 800 members. The existing list is maintained on an Excel spreadsheet (probably it should be a database, but that is for a later time). The spreadsheet is currently held on the existing membership secretary's PC with a back up held off site. Now that two of us have shared responsibility, we want joint, but not contemporaneous access without the need for forwarding the spreadsheet back and forth. Additionally, it would be useful if team managers could have read only access.

So my question is this. How is this best achieved? I am thinking about using Google docs or some other form of cloud computing, but I am concerned about security. The records will have names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mails and dates of birth inter alia, with membership from the age of 11 upwards. Whilst nothing is 100% secure, I am looking for the best compromise of security and accessibility. As a non-profit organisation, cost is important. Suggestions and comments would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

QuizMan 19:59 18 Nov 2010

l24 - Thank you. Definitely sounds something to follow up. The spreadsheet is only 350Kb, but I dare say the TrueCrypt virtual disk will need to be quite a bit larger for version control purposes. I presume that we will create a new version monthly so we have historic records to call upon in case of need.

Forum Editor 23:10 18 Nov 2010

You'll get 25Gb of free file storage, and free online access to Office 2010 applications. This enables you to use Word, Excel etc. to create and save files on any computer, anywhere in the world.

You can set file-sharing permissions, so others can work on files with you. All your files can be password-protected, so you control who can edit them, and everything will be stored on a secure Microsoft server.

click here to take a look.

QuizMan 08:46 19 Nov 2010

FE - thank you. Sounds another interesting possibility that fits the bill nicely. I need to consult others so will leave the thread open for now.

QuizMan 18:02 23 Nov 2010

Thanks for your help folks. Looks like we're going with SkyDrive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone