Cloning...How Much Memory Required

buckeye 20:44 16 Apr 2007

When cloning..say, 80Gb Hard Drive ( Full )..do you need to have a Hard Drive with 80Gb free or does the program compress it ??

skidzy 20:48 16 Apr 2007

What program are you using ?

Though you can compress with some programs,you may run the risk of corrupted data.Personally i would get a bigger drive.

Wak 20:51 16 Apr 2007

In my experience, when using a program like XXCOPY or XXCLONE (from click here) it will clone the disk AS IS, i.e. no compression, just a straight copy including registry, system, programs and data files.
The XXCLONE program is installed in DOS and is operated from the MS-DOS Prompt.
See the instructions at the above web site.

buckeye 20:52 16 Apr 2007

I was going to use XXCLONE

buckeye 20:56 16 Apr 2007

My sister-in law wants to install a 250 Gb hard drive and I have an 80Gb external with only about 10Gb of music which I can put elsewhere temporarily

skidzy 21:20 16 Apr 2007

if your worried about installing the bigger drive,maybe because of breaching the warranty when opening the case.How about buying a caddy for the bigger drive.
This is what ive done with a new pc,i have a sata 80GB drive that is in a caddy and my image of my C: and recovery partition is backed up on that with Acronis.

Wak 09:26 17 Apr 2007

From what you say, I gather that your sister has an 80GB drive (full) which she wants to replace with a new 250GB drive. So you thought that you could clone your sisters 80GB drive on to your 80GB external drive (when empty), install the 250 GB drive and then clone the external drive back on to the 250GB drive. Is that correct?
I would have thought that that was OK, but why not just install the 250GB drive as a Slave to the original 80GB drive, clone the 80 to the 250GB, remove the 80 and then make the 250 GB drive the Master drive?
Always assuming that the computer will allow you to install the larger drive, of course!
If that doesn't work then nothing is lost as you could simply remove the 250 and replace the original 80GB drive as Master. As far as I am aware, cloning in no way affects the original drive.

I apologise if my assumptions are incorrect or if I have confused the issue in any way.
Only trying to help!!!

MAJ 09:33 17 Apr 2007

Your new hard drive's manufacturer will probably provide free software to allow you to clone one drive to the other. Maxtor (now owned by Seagate), Seagate and Western Digital, do as far as I know.

pj123 13:33 17 Apr 2007

Wak, I think you have got that round the wrong way. I use xxclone and it runs from Windows not DOS. xxcopy, I have also used and that does run from DOS.

Wak 13:55 17 Apr 2007

I'm sure you are right as, for over the last three years, I have run Win 98SE and XXCOPY which does run in DOS.
I believe that XXCLONE now covers all systems and I assumed that it still ran in DOS.
I stand corrected, my friend.

Wak 15:32 17 Apr 2007

Just been reading the xxcopy and xxclone sites and notice that the newer FREE versions do not update the files incrementally and therefore take a long time to completely clone a full hard drive whereas the older FREE version of XXCOPY does only update the files which have been altered and is, therefore, much quicker.
I reckon the older version (which I still use) is well worth hanging on to and shouldn't be updated.
Just thought it was an interesting point to mention.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?