cloning using macrium reflect query

bumpkin 19:09 05 Apr 2015

Still have to enter 5 words in the title when others can just put one,

That aside I use reflect to make a clone about once a week (takes about 5 mins) as a backup to another drive. What puzzles me is that the source C says 32G used but when I view the other drive it only has 23G on it but works perfectly well. I am wondering if it is something to do with the fact that the source is SSD and the target or destination HDD. Can anyone explain this please.

bumpkin 19:12 05 Apr 2015

To add, I use a different disk for data storage if you are wondering why so little used.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 05 Apr 2015

Assume you mean an image rather than a clone as an image will be compressed.

I only ever make images, never bothered with clones as i an image direct to anoher size drive with less bother.

bumpkin 19:36 05 Apr 2015

Fruit Bat, I could understand if it were an image but it was a clone. I now you and others here prefer imaging but cloning suits me and as I said only took 5mins. Can't understand why the drives give different amounts of used space, a small variation then yes but 32 and 23 is a huge difference.

rdave13 22:18 05 Apr 2015

Don't use Macrium but check your Updates and system restore usage. Also it might not 'clone' the hibernation folder and pagefile. Makes the cloning more efficient. Soon enough your cloned HDD will fill up to 32 GB.

bumpkin 10:05 06 Apr 2015

Rdave, that sounds reasonable but when I checked updates and restores were there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017