cloning harddrive?

bobatnorthway 18:22 04 Aug 2006

A few years ago I used to be able to clone a H\drive by attaching the extra drive to the cable & boot from a floppy uing ghost, I need that facility once more, has anyone a suggestion of a free software prog (simple to use) that will do the job.

FelixTCat 18:30 04 Aug 2006

A quick Google search turns up:

click here

and any one on here:

click here

Regards,

Felix

GaT7 18:35 04 Aug 2006

Depending on your hard drive(s) manufacturer, there are free utilities provided by them that will do it, e.g., MaxBlast 4 for Maxtor drives click here.

Also check out HDClone free edition click here. G

bobatnorthway 18:38 04 Aug 2006

Thanks felix but having read articles on the forum there is a difference between cloning and imaging a drive, I am not ofay, but the software you suggest offers imaging and does not appear to clone, is this correct or am I misinterpreting ?

GaT7 19:50 04 Aug 2006

I think imaging is creating a clone which resides on the drive in the form of an image FILE. The image file is just that - a file, a backup copy if you like. It doesn't overwrite anything (unless manually restored).

Cloning is directly copying/duplicating one hard disk/partition to another hard disk/partition so that the contents of both are identical. Cloning will overwrite everything on the target drive/partition. G

pj123 20:57 04 Aug 2006

I clone my hard drive to a second hard drive using xcopy (but I am still on Win 98SE).

I am told that xxcopy: click here or xxclone: click here will work for Win XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?