Cloning Hard Disc Using Acronis True Image

thegreypanther 09:01 09 Mar 2010

Fearing my hard drive is about to fail, I need to make a clone (onto my existing external hard drive) for when the inevitable happens.
Problem is, the Acronis True Image manual is 108 pages long and the "how to" takes a bit of fathoming out.
Are there any reasonably SIMPLE guides as to how to prepare a hard disc clone (using Acronis True Image), so that in the event of needing to replace the hard drive I can get going again as quickly as possible?

Technotiger 09:14 09 Mar 2010

Hi, it is really very simple - the existing external drive will become your internal C: drive when cloned.

With the drive connected simply open Acronis and choose the Clone option - then just follow on-screen prompts without making any changes, or in other words, just use all the programs Defaults. Don't set a password or anything else, it really is just a matter of choosing Clone then let Acronis get on with it.

Depending on the amount of data and programs etc on C: it will probably take about half an hour or so to complete. The cloned drive will then be an exact copy of your present C: drive in every detail, except of course the Drives' Capacity - cloning is usually done to upgrade to a larger capacity drive.

You then just physically swap the drives over, at your own convenience.

gengiscant 09:15 09 Mar 2010
  dvdcllns 09:15 09 Mar 2010

Hi

I can't do the 'click here' bizzo like others but try this address, it helped me do the same job as you're wanting to do

click here

Best of luck

gengiscant 09:16 09 Mar 2010

or here,click here

thegreypanther 09:42 09 Mar 2010

Many thanks for the help. Looks like things may be a bit simpler than I at first thought. Hope so!

Technotiger 09:49 09 Mar 2010

NB - gengiscant's last 'click here' is not for cloning, it is for creating a backup image - not the same thing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017