Cloning

redeyenewby 12:02 04 Jan 2010

Hi All, I am having problems.
1. My computer sometimes fails to start
2. I get a number of "not responding" problems.
3. I can't restore to an earlier date.
I cloned my hard drive to an external drive then swopped dtives.
I currently have amain drive IDE, a 2nd drive (new, empty but fornatted and recognised), an external hard drive in a PATA/SATA enclosue and a 2nd external hard drive in a PATA enclosure.
I obvious;y have a mess so I would like to clone my programmes and OS (XP) to my 2nd internal hard drive and swop drives. Would the cloning copy the problems as well? Or do I have to go the hard way and reformat and reinstall. I've been looking at threads referring to Acronis and XXClone for information. When I tried to use Norton 360 backup it seened to stop at 410 progammes but the info above said it was running. When I tried Norton Help and Support it started loading but after a while when I clicked on it I got "not responding" and I had a dickens of a job closing it. You've probably all had that hppen to you! Where do I go from here? Thank you in anticipation. redeyenewby

Graphicool1 13:19 04 Jan 2010

"Would the cloning copy the problems as well?"

In a word 'Yes' and in your case I would recommend a reformat and clean install. There is no quick fix for this pickle. Anything else you try would be just prolonging the inevitable.

David4637 13:42 04 Jan 2010

I know this is "after the horse(s) have bolted", but in future use Acronis to clone or Acronis system image backup of the OS. I have use this s/w on my XP about 5 times in 7 years to get me out of an OS crash and it saves spending 3-4 days on putting ALL the lost settings back into Word etc etc, if you are forced to a reinstall. David

redeyenewby 13:59 16 Jan 2010

Hi, Graphicool1 and Bavid4637, Feedback nerewith:- I have reformatted my HD (after removing all the "bits of hardware" I had installed in my PC - tesult! Touch wood, enerything is going fine. I have reinstalled some minor hardware and it's O.K. I am - very soon - going to reinstall my Radeon 1650 Video card. I'll let you know how I make out. Incidentally (this for David4637), I have used Acronis twice and it worked a dream. Thank you for your help. Over and out!

Graphicool1 17:18 16 Jan 2010

Thanks for letting us know, toe's crossed it all runs smoothly for you ¦¬)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?