Clone to external drive

dennarcher 16:13 24 Jan 2011

Hi,

My PC has 2 internal HDD. The one that came with the machine (C) and the one from my old PC (slave- D) Both 80Gb. One of them id making a sort of dry bearing screech at start up so have bought a WD Mybook 250Gb external drive and intend to clone both internal drives to it in case of problems. Are there any pitfalls in doing this? Is there any really good freeware available for the task? I've read many of the threads related to this topic and am now thoroughly confused. Help!

lotvic 16:21 24 Jan 2011

No can do.
A clone is an exact copy of a harddrive and after it has been made - in order to boot from it - it needs to be connected up as the replacement of the original internal harddrive - that is what a clone is for.

(You take out the original harddrive and put the clone in instead)

lotvic 16:22 24 Jan 2011

I should add, or if it is a clone of the slave drive then it replaces the original slave.

gengiscant 16:57 24 Jan 2011

Just clone your main drive, normally C, then just copy everything from the slave drive once you have swapped the cloned drive for the old C drive.

lotvic 17:00 24 Jan 2011

That won't work you can't clone to:
WD Mybook 250Gb external drive

gengiscant 17:13 24 Jan 2011

Sorry,didn't read the post correctly.

robin_x 19:34 24 Jan 2011

Download Acronis True Image WD Edition
click here

You want to Image your drives/partitions.

Run the program.
Create bootable media first (a boot CD/DVD).
At some point you must check it works.

Do it first or later. But if later after spending a while making images to your ext drive then find it doesn't see it, it's annoying.

(I have just had this prob today on EASEUS Todo backup anotheer imaging program)

Assuming you can boot alright from CD/DVD and try to restore an image, see that it works to a certain point. And everything OK.

Then make images of both the 80GB drives/partitions.

If you get option to include MBR, accept.

Validate/Verify your images after. They can be corrupt sometimes. See Backup Management.

Also try mounting and if you can explore the images to make sure all seems OK.

That's it.

You can do nothing and wait for your disk to fail.
Or if C drive is the dodgy one, swap them over then restore the images you just created.

ie c image to 'new' c drive. etc.

Or buy a new internal drive now.

robin_x 19:38 24 Jan 2011

You may need to adjust partition sizes after restoring.

Use Windows Disk management or Easeus Partition Master click here;1

lotvic 20:55 24 Jan 2011

Be aware that making image to restore from is not the same as making a clone drive.

It is good advice from robinofloxley, that is what is usual to do - make an image (*.tib file if Acronis) and store it on ext HDD.

dennarcher 11:40 26 Jan 2011

Thanks to all especially robinofloxley. Got plenty of info to keep me busy for some time. Hope squeeky drive doesn't give up the ghost( pun intended) before I get things sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?