Clock time all over the place

Brucemac 12:39 09 May 2003

18 month old PC, AMD2K, XP home. Keep having to reset time, sometimes keeps up, sometimes loses time often out by about 30 mins. Mystified

_Treb_ 12:43 09 May 2003

Just a guess but maybe you should consider putting a new MoBo battery in. Only a couple of quid.

your battery is probably running low, get a new one.

Brucemac 12:45 09 May 2003

Sounds logical captain, would that be one of those tiny ones and would it sit somewhere on the motherboard ?

graham√ 13:02 09 May 2003

Yep. Get a new one before you take the old one out, though.

DieSse 14:21 09 May 2003

If it lose time when the system is switched off, then the most likely cause is the battery. If it loses time when the system is running - it is most definately NOT the battery - which plays no part in keeping the time when the OS is running.

XP has an automatic time synchroniser, via the web - make sure it's enabled - it's specifically to correct the clock, which is notoriously prone to being affected by some software in the system.

Bagsey 14:50 09 May 2003

That is very interesting. Does this synchroniser do the time check automatically when I go on line or do I need to take some other action.

-pops- 14:54 09 May 2003

Double click on the clock in the sys tray and then click on the "Internet Time" tab. All will be revealed.

Bagsey 15:50 09 May 2003

Thanks for that info. You learn something everyday. Wonderful things computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?