clock in sysyem tray shows wrong time

Brucer 16:24 14 May 2005

Time shown by system tray clock is 4 mins slow - I have tried changing it on the date & time tab of the Date & Time properties dialog box but after a short while, the time displayed reverts to approx 4 mins slow. I have also tried clicking the Update Now button on the Internet Time tab, changing the server for sychronising but with the same result.

Any suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 14 May 2005

How old is your PC? sounds like the CMOS battery voltage is low (wearing out).

CMOS Battery
click here
click here

S5W 19:31 14 May 2005

Brucer, just in case, like me you are a little apprehensive of delving into your computer I too had a premature cmos battery failure a few months ago. After checking I soon realzed that my simplist option was to bite the bullet and change it myself. The old saw of fear of the unknown was soon consigned to the bin. The operation to change the battery is simplicity itself, and as long as you take a few elementary precautions you will have it done in ten minutes.

woodchip 19:33 14 May 2005

You could also check the time in the BIOS

DieSse 20:10 14 May 2005

If the clock changes when the system is running, then the battery is NOT the problem - when the OS is runnng the time is kept by software. The battery only keeps the clock going when the system is switched off, so if it's correct when you switch off, and wrong when you switch back on - then it probably is the battery

Unfortunately software clocks are subject to the vagaries of other software, which does sometimes interfere. There's not a lot you can do, except to try and identify which program. If you're permanently on-line, then the best bet is a regular automatic synchronisation program, which updates the clock evry 5 or 10mins or so.

Graham ® 20:28 14 May 2005

I use this, it gives the date and an analog clock:

click here

Bagsey 22:57 14 May 2005

Download from here to keep your clock DEAD right
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?