Clock fast on 2.16 GHz system with Win XP - Help

RDG 19:18 26 Jan 2004

i am running a Athlon XP2700 with 1GByte of RAM running Win XP Home but have found the clock to be extremely fast by as much as several minutes a day.
As I wish to use this computer for downloading realtime weather maps this is not a lot of use.

Has anyone any suggestions on how to improve the situation either Hardware or software wise ?

Win Xp will only update automatically every week so this is not a lot of use.

Any helpfull suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave.

BurrWalnut 19:57 26 Jan 2004

If you want to set the system clock to the correct time, double-click the time in systray, then Internet Time Tab, then Update Now.

RDG 22:01 26 Jan 2004

BurrWalnut, I should have made it clear that that resets the clock to the correct time but it will gain a minute or more within the next few hours !

DieSse 23:19 26 Jan 2004

There is no way to adjust the clocks timekeeping - it's done by the Operating System when the systems running, and in turn is therefore linked back to the processor clock generation - the frequency must be minutely wrong.

All you can do is to set up an internet time correcting program, and tell it to check and adjust frequently - every 10mins would be plenty to give you very good accuracy.

Example program click here

RDG 09:04 27 Jan 2004

DieSse, Thanks for the reply. Yes your first para is correct b ut interestingly it can be tweaked by the BIOS (By the manufacturers of the Board). I will investigate the latest BIOS and see if any changes have been made.

Thanks for the reference that's most useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires