Clicking on username = logging off?

ClownBoy 17:22 12 Jan 2007

Hello,

I have a pc which, when booted, goes fine until I get to the select user screen. If I select my own name (the only one there), it flashes the desktop, then back to select user, where it tells me I am logging off. It then stays on the select user screen.

I have tried to boot in safe mode using my own name and admin, neither option works. I have also tried "last known good". Nothing seems to work.

Any advice would be great.

XP Home incidentally.

VoG II 17:26 12 Jan 2007

Possibly: click here and scroll down to 'Here is the solution to the logon - logoff issue in Windows XP'.

ClownBoy 17:32 12 Jan 2007

Hmm, could well be that.

Problem is, that the comupter was an OEM XP Home, so I can't follow those instructions, I only have an XP Pro cd.

Thanks for the help.

PaulB2005 17:46 12 Jan 2007

"Problem is, that the comupter was an OEM XP Home, so I can't follow those instructions, I only have an XP Pro cd."

Should still work if you are just loading up the Recovery Console.

ClownBoy 17:56 12 Jan 2007

Ok, I'll give that a try, thanks all!

ClownBoy 19:28 12 Jan 2007

Everywhere I have looked on this subject, it has told me that I should get a C:\Windows prompt. I don't I only get a C: It won't let me type in CD System32 or Chdir system32 and I'm assuming that's the reason. Sorry for being thick, but where am I going wrong?

Boot from CD.
Press R.
Command prompt I get is C:

Thanks in advance.

VoG II 20:09 12 Jan 2007

Type

CD Windows

ClownBoy 20:10 12 Jan 2007

Sheesh, how thick have I been? Sorry and thanks.

PaulB2005 21:28 12 Jan 2007

Hmm, been there, done worse....

How did it works out?

ClownBoy 23:30 12 Jan 2007

Didn't work, cd windows was not an acceptable command.

I have..... C:\>

and nothing seems to work, chkdsk says something along the lines of "there are one or two unresolvable problems" something like that.

I can't get any of the commands to work.

I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

terryf 00:45 13 Jan 2007

from the C prompt type dir, this will tell you what directories (or folders) there are

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?