Click your user name

pj123 16:58 28 Jul 2008

My computer always used to boot straight in to the desktop.

Now, it stops at a window which says: Click your user name to start windows.

How do I get rid of that and get back to how it started before, ie. straight into my desktop.

I do have a cloned hard disc before this happened which I can put back in if necessary but, of course, it would need all the anti virus/malware/spyware etc. updating.

jack 17:04 28 Jul 2008

Is a system restore to before the event - I guess.

birdface 17:32 28 Jul 2008

Might help.click here

pj123 17:46 28 Jul 2008

jack, tried many restore points but all I get is:

Your system cannot be restored to this point. No changes have been made. Please choose another restore point.

None of them work.

buteman, thanks but it is not a password problem.

Will now put my cloned drive in an report back.

Peter 18:05 28 Jul 2008

I noticed that I had to log in, as opposed to going straight in, on my XP Pro machine some time back. I found that it was an update from Microsoft that did it by adding an extra and unnecessary User to my PC. I deleted the new User and everything went back to normal.

Peter.

Eargasm 18:15 28 Jul 2008

As above, i had a similar problem and found another user had been added ( asp.net i think) control panel/ user acounts and delete the extra account.

woodchip 18:28 28 Jul 2008

Go to Control Panel, click on Accounts. My bet is you have at least to Admins. One is created by a MS update, don't ask why as i do not know but if you delete the one created by MS it will log strait in

sunny staines 18:35 28 Jul 2008

click here

try this link to enable auto login if that is what your after.

works in vista too.

Sea Urchin 18:42 28 Jul 2008

sunny staines' link is the one you need to skip the Welcome Screen - it was also on buteman's link earlier. Here it is illustrated

click here

birdface 08:38 29 Jul 2008

As with others Microsoft added another user account on my computer. I deleted it as well.that must have been at least 6 months ago.

shizzy 22:06 29 Jul 2008

Sea Urchin's link worked exactly as it said.
Thanks for helping us to get rid of the user log in screen on our other computer which was new a few months ago.It was delivered this way but my husband hated it. We had tried a couple of ways which before which didn't work.
Hope that you never had to resort to your clone pj123.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?