"Click here" problems

Pineman100 18:41 17 Nov 2009

On a few occasions recently I have responded to threads on this forum and included URLs. As you know, the URL should have represented itself as a blue "click here".

But once or twice the last few characters of the URL have separated themselves from the link, like this: click here=|c:1430|&Sort=1. It's happened a few times, and appears to relate to the fact that the page I have linked to is not the home page of the website.

Is this something to do with a setting on my computer?

I run Vista SP3 and IE8.

woodchip 18:51 17 Nov 2009

No it happens with Me using 98se or XP Home

woodchip 18:51 17 Nov 2009

PS they still work

Pineman100 19:03 17 Nov 2009

Yes, the links still work, but they don't take you to the page I copied them from - they usually take you to a higher page or homepage.

It's only happened since I got my new Vista computer - the old XP machine never exhibited this problem!

Sea Urchin 19:09 17 Nov 2009

In fact they don't always work at all - but any long URL can easily be converted to a tinyURL and you'll have no more trouble.

click here

Pineman100 19:19 17 Nov 2009

Ah - so it's not just me!

Your tinyURL idea is the perfect solution, so I've added the website to my Favourites.

Many thanks for your help.

Sea Urchin 19:50 17 Nov 2009

And you can drag the link to your toolbar to make it even quicker (see Add tinyURL to your browser toolbar) - just click and it converts the page you have open at the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?