clearing yahoo problem - bt internet

sunny staines 18:57 26 Dec 2007

helping someone who has just got the Internet for the first time [bt Internet].

Cannot get rid of all the yahoo stuff that is slowing down the computer it is not listed in add/remove in the control panel. I Installed CCleaner it shows it listed but cannot find it to delete.

Any bt internet users know how to clean this one up please. She does not use yahoo messenger or mail.

Pamy 19:11 26 Dec 2007

think you can just right click and delete, clean up afterwards

p;3 19:33 26 Dec 2007

do you not get the option when installing the BT to not install all of the options? if the system will allow it you could try a restore to before the thing was installed and have another stab at it? if memory serves I declined to install their browser etc as all I needed was the phone line access for my broad band connection and the BT help

does that help any?

sunny staines 19:37 26 Dec 2007

Thanks for the replies. I did not install the software, I will go back and look at a reinstall to see if the option to exclude it is present.

Seems to be a good package spoilt by the yahoo software.

Graham. 19:39 26 Dec 2007

Is this relevant click here?

p;3 19:53 26 Dec 2007

from what I can grasp from other threads some people go here click here to log in to BTYahoo THEN start to surf; you really do not need to ; try only installing the BT broadband modem and drivers and OMIT the yahoo browsing stuff; you can have ANY home page you wish and NOT the bt one so get selective on the next attempt::))

dfh 20:09 26 Dec 2007

From memory when I did mine the first time round everything was listed in add/remove as bt programs. From there you could go through the list and uninstall all that you didnt want.
When I reinstalled at a later date, I only installed the drivers etc, once that was done, you are given the choice to install Btyahoo browsers etc but I declined. It that helps.

you shouldnt have to install anything, if it's a homehub it has it's own firmware and updates automatically, i only ever used the disk that comes with bt bb once and never will again. i have pc via ethernet and x box through wireless all configured click here

sunny staines 20:27 26 Dec 2007

thanks again for replies i will look at bt software. on the wireless issue she is connected to the router via a network cable, only has a desktop.

never thought about the wireless.

Will wireless signals also be given out and if so are they automatically protected by WPA security or will she have to configure this [using the bt unlimited package]

they are encripted but you can turn off on the advanced option on my previous link if you are not using it.

sorry had to check, advanced>> wireless>> uncheck 'interface enabled' tickbox on top,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?