Clearing Out Duplicate Files

jimforrest 15:44 14 Oct 2013
Answered

My network has an old XP desktop which, once I switched to laptops, I kept as an email receiver (Outlook) but rarely used for anything else. It does have a lot of docs and Visual Basic progs which I used for my business. I'm now going to dump it and replace it with a laptop so I am copying all the files across to my laptop. The problem is that (if I remember correctly), in the 'old' days the only way you could share files was by putting them in a dedicated Share Folder. Nowadays I can share all folders of course. I used to copy files to this Share folder so now I have literally hundreds of duplicate files which I'm copying across the to new comp. Is there a program that I can run that will find identical files and remove the duplicates?

chub_tor 18:54 14 Oct 2013

Google will find you dozens of programmes that will find duplicate file this one is from auslogics

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 14 Oct 2013

however be very careful using such programs as they can remove vital files and stop programs or even windows from working.

chub_tor 19:37 14 Oct 2013

Fruitbat/\0/\ very true, very true. Been there and done that in my early days.

jimforrest 19:55 14 Oct 2013

OK Chaps - before I end up looking at a blank screen (again!), can I specify only .doc, .xml etc file types, or even limit the search to certain folders?

chub_tor 22:26 15 Oct 2013
Answer

According to that link I gave

Welcome Page

The welcome page offers you to select disks you want to scan for duplicates. You can use a filter to search for duplicates only among specific file types.

jimforrest 00:40 16 Oct 2013

Cheers Chub. After I get an image of my comp safely on an HDD I'll do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?