Clearing the DNS cache

glyn6045 13:17 26 Jul 2009

I often loose my network signal, i've got the standard sky wireless package with a netgear router, when i repair my conection ittells me that it cannot clear the DNS cache. what does this mean?

birdface 19:17 26 Jul 2009

If Xp.

Try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns a small gap between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.Ok. it should tell you DNS has been flushed if so reboot and see if it works any better.

birdface 19:19 26 Jul 2009

If Vista.

Flushing the dns cache

In Vista right click the command prompt option and select run as admin, then type,
ipconfig /flushdns and press enter
net stop dnscache and press enter
net start dns cache and press enter

glyn6045 19:45 31 Jul 2009

buteman,
Thanks for the help, unfortunately when i enter ipconfig /flushdns it tells me that it could not flush the dns resolver cache: function failed during execution.
Help, its still a very sick laptop.

T0SH 22:18 31 Jul 2009

Sounds like something nasty may be at work perhaps a Malwarebytes scan would be in order

Cheers HC

birdface 23:49 31 Jul 2009

Ok if XP try this.Remember to reboot after you have done it.

go to start, run and type in > CMD

Press enter

copy and paste this into the black box

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache /V Start /T REG_DWORD /F /D 2

press enter

restart

brundle 13:34 01 Aug 2009

That error message appears if the DNS Client service is disabled or stopped. If you have a large hosts file - the kind that's used to block adverts etc (click here), disabling that service is a good idea otherwise your browsing speed will be affected.

It's not an essential service for a desktop PC, but the registry edit buteman posted will ensure the service starts automatically (or ought to unless something has got in and disabled it).

glyn6045 21:35 02 Aug 2009

Buteman
Thanks for the advise, the DNS Cache seems to be sorted now, unfortunately my wireless conection still drops out regularly. I think i'm going to try a dongle to increse my reception.

birdface 12:40 04 Aug 2009

Not into routers or dongles but if you are going to use a dongle i think you have to turn the other connection off on the computer.Maybe someone else can comment.or tell you how to get your router working properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?