Clear index.dat in XP Pro

Ironman556 22:26 26 Aug 2003

Hi, I like to keep my PC as clean as possible to keep it running smoothly. I use JV17 Power Tools, SpyBot, AdAware and have just downloaded CleanUp after reading a thread here.

I have run CleanUp on basic and standard modes, which lists the index.dat for deletion, but is still present after reboot. Also I can't get it to accept the folder/file for deletion as a valid folder/file.

At the moment the file's a bit over 1.5MB, but I'd like to know how to remove it for future reference.

Thanks in advance. Ironman.

Gaz 25 22:33 26 Aug 2003

Super cleaners can for your temp files.

Ironman556 22:37 26 Aug 2003

My temp files have all gone, it's just the index.dat that won't delete. I had a batch file to run for 95/98 posted on a thread by pj123, but it requires DOS mode.

Eastender 22:59 26 Aug 2003

1.5MB might be a bit too large for this but give it a try.

Open Notepad, go File > Open and navigate to cookies folder, change 'Files of Type' to All Files, open index.dat delete contents and resave empty file.

leo49 23:23 26 Aug 2003

CleanUp! always empties my Index dats down to the 16/32kb minimum size on reboot.Been using it for a couple of years with zero problems.

Regards

jazzypop 23:24 26 Aug 2003

XP has several index.dat files (at least one for each user account).

If you do delete them, they will simply be recreated next time you reboot, so it is a fairly repetitive task.

They also contain information that you might consider useful (such as cookies that allow you to automatically logon to sites such as this one).

If you still want to delete/purge them, the following links will help -

click here

click here

click here

click here

Ironman556 23:42 26 Aug 2003

Thanks tried that but I doesn't have write access to the file.

leo49

Are you on XP? Is there any other settings I need to enable/disable?

jazzypop

Thanks I'll take a look at the links and post back when it's sorted. I saw a way of using another account to delete for a different user, but I've set it up to log straight in and it took me ages to do.

Ironman556 23:55 26 Aug 2003

click here give a file with this content:

cd %homedrive%%homepath%

rd /s/q cookies

rd /s/q locals~1\history

rd /s/q locals~1\tempor~1

Can anyone tell me what this does I'm not much of a programmer and know nothing about commands? I realise I have to use "save as" to download.

Also do I need the PGP signature and where do I put that?

leo49 02:58 27 Aug 2003

On XP,and others. Presume you're using Version 3. I tick the first 4 Options of Detailed settings and it just works.

Before finding CleanUp!,I added Editpad to my 'Send to' menu and deleted the entries there.

Regards

temp003 04:53 27 Aug 2003

The file you were asking about (the commands are for the XP command prompt):

The 1st line is to go to the directory or folder C:(i.e. homedrive)\documents and settings\username (i.e. homepath)

2nd line is to remove/delete the "cookies" folder (the /s switch is to remove all subfolders and files including index.dat, basically to delete the entire tree; the /q switch is quiet mode - no confirmation required).

3rd line is to remove the "local settings\history" subfolder.

4th line is to remove the "local settings\temporary internet files" subfolder.

The file, once put in the startup folder, is supposed to delete the folders at startup before Windows is fully loaded (once fully loaded, you cannot delete the index.dat files).

As jazzypop says, Windows will re-create all these index.dat files (if not present) every time it loads, but a fresh index.dat should be much smaller in size (should be in terms of KB not MB, as leo49 says). So there is nothing wrong with seeing the files again, but if it remains at 1.5MB even after a supposed deletion, then it's not working.

I still think the easiest way is to have 2 user accounts both with Administrative privileges, then delete the index.dat files from the other user account. But if you don't want to go through that again, then try the file you were asking about.

Simsy 06:20 27 Aug 2003

temp003

thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017