Cleaning registry

timestar 11:54 22 Jun 2008

I have CCleaner on my XP laptop but only used it so far for getting rid of bits of prog' etc. The laptop runs ok so do I need to run the registry cleaner (it found a lot of issues). I am no PC expert and am not that happy messing with the registry. Will cleaning it make that much difference?

brundle 11:57 22 Jun 2008

Nothing you'll notice.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:57 22 Jun 2008

Ccleaner registry fix is excellent and in all the years that I have used it, on many computers, there has never been a problem. In the main window you could also tick all the advanced selections and it will then get rid of all your prefetch files and hotfix uninstallers.

G

VoG II 12:00 22 Jun 2008

I think that CCleaner can be a bit 'vicious' when cleaning up the registry.

Personally I prefer RegscrubVistaXP click here

Click scan and allow it to finish. Then click Select All then click Finish.

birdface 12:05 22 Jun 2008

After you have ran C Cleaner.You could download Winaso Optimizer free or trial version.It will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.It does an automatic back up and has a registry defrag on it that you can use,I find it better than C Cleaner . click here

timestar 12:07 22 Jun 2008

Thanks for the help but does a computer's registry "need" cleaning?

sunny staines 13:03 22 Jun 2008

as buteman says.

a clean registry helps boot up times & opening of programs.

also similar to winaso is free eusing registry checker, lets you clean all in one hit instead of ten at a time.

VoG II 13:10 22 Jun 2008

As a direct answer, no it doesn't need cleaning.

Halmer 14:48 22 Jun 2008

that the benefit of 'cleaning' the registry is negligible compared with the risk of shafting your PC!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?