Cleaning the paste off my CPU.

Mev 17:37 13 May 2004

I need to clean the thermal paste off my Athlon CPU. I have read several posts on the board on the best methods for doing this. Apparently i need to use a certain type of cleaner for this, 99% Isopropanol. Can i pick this up from a shop? I know they don't sell it at PC World. Can anyone suggest any shops in the UK where i can get this stuff from?

Mev 17:56 13 May 2004

....or anything that will do the job?

TomJerry 18:00 13 May 2004

Akasa CPU & Heatsink Cleaner £5.58 click here

You can be themal paste from there as well.

Diemmess 18:06 13 May 2004

You only need to clear the excess, a smear is essential to give rapid heat transfer.

If you really want to start from scratch then almost any chemist (called pharmacy these days) will sell what you want.

I had to buy 500ml recently and can't remember what I paid, probably £3.50 or so, and too much anyway. it is a first class cleaner for many surfaces, mainly because it is safe on most plastics, and is the base for the really expensive spectacle cleaner from an optician.

€dstowe 18:13 13 May 2004

Petrol - the grade used for refilling cigarette lighters is clean and leaves no residues.

Works well for cleaning thermal transfer paste from CPUs and heatsinks.

€d

Rayuk 18:14 13 May 2004

Or if youre a cheapskate like me use nail varnish remover.

Mev 18:36 13 May 2004

Lighter fluid? Like i put in my Zippo lighter?

€dstowe 18:41 13 May 2004

The stuff I know is called Ronsonol. Make sure it's not lighter gas.

€dstowe 18:43 13 May 2004

N.B. nail varnish remover isn't particularly cheap neither is it free from containing residues. there is usually an oily component which remains behind as an oily film - not very much but it is there.

Mev 19:51 13 May 2004

Ok, thanks guys.

Dan the Confused 20:04 13 May 2004

It's tape head cleaner I think. If I run out of it vodka makes a good substitute.

!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)