Cleaning laptop cooling fan

portofcall 23:37 29 Jul 2007

Would like to clean laptop cooling fan from dust/dirt. I understand the importance of clearing vents from all laptop openings as well as underneath (Compaq V6133CL model). On my old compaq, I could open from bottom. This model doesn't seem to have that ease. Do I really have to open the whole laptop? Access to hard drive and ram very easy to access. Also, seems this model runs hotter. I am using a cpu heating temperature gauge (mobilemonitor - but not sure how accurate). Seems I'm running 50 to 65C. Again, old compaq seems to run much cooler. Can I open this laptop, can I clean cooling fan and can I re-assemble? Checked with Compaq and will not void warranty. Lastly, is this a PC World job or computer repair company task? Thanks, Skip

woodchip 23:44 29 Jul 2007

Only proper way is, that it will need partial dismantling

2neat 23:50 29 Jul 2007

does the fan sound like its running full belt all the time?
I dont think I would fancy dismantling my lappy just to clean the fan!

woodchip 23:59 29 Jul 2007

If there is a Plastic strip with the buttons just under the screan look for a pin hole at the back, if you see one use a paper clip and slide the plastic to one side. Mine goes to the left You can then see screws that hold the Keyboard after removing two keyboard screws you can get to the fan and vents

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?