Cleaning up boot manager

Bob Bob™ 19:42 21 Jan 2009

Ive had some mad problems with my XP Pro install (F:) that drove me to make a new partition (E:) and install XP Home. I then, most likely foolishly deleted the XP Pro install as I was unable to format it and also there was a shared storage folder there that XP and Vista had their docs in that was 60 GB and I didnt fancy moving it.

Anyway, I got a nltndr error for XP and got it fixed with a special CD that someone made, cant find the link right now.

So, my OS and drive situation is this

Vista - Drive 1
XP - Drive 2

When I boot from drive 1 I get the option of

1) Windows Vista
2) Earlier Version of Windows (doesnt work)

When I boot from drive 2 I get

1) Windows Vista [recovered]
2) Windows XPAudio

Vista is recovered because VistaBootPro couldnt fix the problem where installing XP renders Vista useless SOOOOOOOOOOO I downloaded a Vista recovery CD from a torrent site and repaired the installation.

When I go to XPAudio I then go into the XP bootloader and get

1) XP Home
2) ? (Its what was XP Pro, cant remember what it is exactly nor how it got there because I didnt add it)

I think when I boot from Drive 1 and press Earlier version of windows it goes to the number 2 ('?') and doesnt work, so I have to set the boot order in the BIOS to drive 2.

Very confusing I know, but Im curious if I can just clean all this up and have Vista and XPAudio.

Tis a thinker and no doubt I messed up in most of the things I should have done when setting up dual booting, even if I have done it twice before.

Thanks
Rob

brundle 19:58 21 Jan 2009

EasyBCD for the Vista/XP installs, edit boot.ini for XP installs.

click here

click here

"2) Earlier Version of Windows (doesnt work)" - is referring to an old XP installation.

"When I go to XPAudio I then go into the XP bootloader and get

1) XP Home
2) ? (Its what was XP Pro, cant remember what it is exactly nor how it got there because I didnt add it)"

Edit boot.ini

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:03 21 Jan 2009

download and install EasyBCD click here, and follow the steps on click here add a boot entry for Windows XP.

You can use the same program to delete the bad entries.

Bob Bob™ 20:41 23 Jan 2009

Well I got the first Vista and XPAudio option.

However, when I press XPAudio I still get a furter option to choose between Windows and Windows XPAudio even though the boot.ini reads

"[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XPAudio" /fastdetect
"

And BCD edit reads Vista and XPaudio when I view it on XP.

:S

Thanks
Rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires