Cleaners and fixers

Truronian 18:59 08 Oct 2008

I have had problems with my Norton systemworks so I uninstalled it and tok advice from a local computer shop to use Ccleaner and Defragler. Any comments from any users, please? Is it safe for those programs to remove "unwanted clutter" and fix problems automatically, or are they best left alone?

colinb1604 19:04 08 Oct 2008

ccleaner very good and safe. dont know about defragler

MAT ALAN 19:05 08 Oct 2008

Ccleaner is tried and tested by many on this forum and the default settings are safe to use.
As far as defrag is concerned it does not actually get rid of anything but moves file clusters "lets say" closer together so their actions are optimised...

chub_tor 19:09 08 Oct 2008

Did you run the Norton uninstall tool click here if not download it and run it to make sure that all evidence of Norton is removed.

CCleaner is a good tool and used by many forum members.

Have you installed a new antivirus programme? If not then Avast is free click here and also used by many forum members.

Truronian 19:22 08 Oct 2008

Yes, I have Niorton Internet Security running. The problem was only with Systemworks.Is the Ccleaner registry cleaner safe to use or do i need to know what I am doing?

chub_tor 19:24 08 Oct 2008

CCleaner registry cleaner is safe to use, you are given the option of saving the registry before you make the changes. I do it but have never had to go back in all the years that I have used it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone