Clean up and speed up my computer

ponytail 22:47 20 Aug 2009

As my computer is running fairly slow at present.Is there anyway apart from taking it to a dealer for me myself to clean it up and increase its running speed.What do I need to do apart from running my anti virus.I would like to do it myself but am not sure how to go about it.

RobCharles1981 23:21 20 Aug 2009

Use The Search Forum on the top right hand side for "Slow PC" You will find your answers there.

birdface 00:00 21 Aug 2009

Maybe download and run C Cleaner and run that.Maybe run a defrag.let us know what security you have on your computer.Download update and run Malwarebytes [free version]

birdface 00:11 21 Aug 2009

Download and run SIW it will tell you what you have on your computer.You will then be able to check how much memory you have left and how much disc space you have left.You will then be able to check for driver updates by going to the makers sites.

click here

ponytail 07:01 21 Aug 2009

Hi Buteman I have run the defrag and my security is Avira Antivi and Spybot Search and destroy.I will install malwarebytes.

ponytail 07:07 21 Aug 2009

Hi Again Buteman I have downloaded and saved SIW on my computer.There is a long list on the LH side when I double click on it.What do I do now how do I run it and read the answer's

birdface 07:09 21 Aug 2009

I would also think of Downloading Superantispyware I am afraid that the Security that you have will not be sufficient to stop all of todays problems.Make sure that you install the free versions of both.
I would imagine Malwarebytes would find a lot of problems if not the security that you do have has being doing a good job.

birdface 07:22 21 Aug 2009

Just play about with it till you get used to it.Motherboard will tell you the maker so you know where to browse to to look for updates.Memory will tell you what you have and what you have left.Secrets will tell you Your keycode for Windows and so on.Just a matter of checking through to see what is actually on your computer.it should also tell your hard drive and how much space you still have on it.it gives you all the makers names so you can then go to their sites and look for driver updates.Just a handy tool to have around.
Not sure if you use I/E8 or not.But deleting your browsing history may also help speed things up a bit.If using I/Explorer what version.

ponytail 09:04 22 Aug 2009

Hi Buteman
I installed c cleaner which came up as reg cure is that the same thing or have I got the wrong one.I ran a scan on it and it came up with a load of problems ? but it only got rid of about 20 and it says I need to upgrade to get rid of the remaining problems.It seems a waste of time to have the free version if it will not clear the problems.Can you advise.

Thanks

Halmer 09:13 22 Aug 2009
  Halmer 09:14 22 Aug 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?