Clean Reinstall of XP Home from recovery disc.

Rokerend 16:15 28 Dec 2006

I am about to attempt a reinstall using the recovery disc that came with my PC 4 years ago.Can anyone point me in the direction of an easy to follow idiots guide.(The manual that came with my Medion PC is basic - to say the least,"Beware all data willbe erased, You will need to enter the Product Key"!!

SANTOS7 16:19 28 Dec 2006

click here
this may help,good luck..

LastChip 16:25 28 Dec 2006

When you place the recovery disc in the drive, it will probably just run.

Just follow the prompts and let it complete its job.

The key should be on a sticker on the side of your PC somewhere.

If not, click here and download this utility. It will reveal your product key. CAREFULLY note it down. Once you start the recovery, you won't get a second chance.

DO TAKE NOTE of the warning you received. ALL your data will be lost, therefore make sure you have backed up EVERYTHING you need. Not forgetting your address book, favourites, passwords, Internet account details etc.

You will also need to reinstall any additional programs you use, that you have added to the PC.

LastChip 16:26 28 Dec 2006

Wrong link - click here

LastChip 16:30 28 Dec 2006

The link SANTOS7 gave you is unlikely to apply.

Medion will almost certainly have used an image for your recovery disc and what it does, is to format the drive (wipe it clean) and put back all the files as the computer was when it was shipped to you.

The advantage is, it's a lot quicker than the laborious Windows installation.

Taff™ 16:38 28 Dec 2006

click here and install the free program and print out the results. It will give you all the product CD keys you may need later as well as the details of hardware components in case you need drivers.

Medion usually supply a second disc with Drivers on it - have you got that too?

Go to the Medion Website anyway, select the Support Tab and then select Drivers and Downloads. click here Enter your product details or serial number and download everything that could be of use later (Including all the latest drivers)

Back up all your data - you will lose it all! Particularly your e-mails (Outlook Express are .dbx files) Favorites and Address Book (.WAB file) Now think if there`s anything else you might lose and post back if you`re not certain.

Sure you want to do this? You then need to enter the BIOS and set the computer to boot from the CD ROM first. Save your settings (F10) and then put the recovery CD in the drive and reboot. Follow the on screen instructions.

You will need to reload all the programmes you have added since the computer was bought so have some discs handy. Start off by putting some anti-virus software onto the computer click here and then go to MS Windows Updates and install all the Critical Updates, Optional Software and Hardware drivers.

Good Luck and post back if you have a problem.

SB23 16:39 28 Dec 2006

I was scared stiff when I first used my recovery disc for my Packard Bell 4 years ago, follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

terryf 16:45 28 Dec 2006

I suggest that you disconnect from the web while you are installing and until you have some AV software installed. Be aware that you will have around 60 windows updates to download, I know cos I have just done it!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 28 Dec 2006

Beware all data willbe erased,

Back up onto exteria media any documents photos contacts or emails you wish to keep, as the recovery disk will reset the PC to the day you gotit.

You will need to enter the Product Key"!!
Product key is on a sticker on the rear of the PC

Rokerend 19:54 28 Dec 2006

Thanks to Santos7,LastChip,Taff,SB23,terryf and Fruit Bat.Your advice gratefully received.Will attempt the reinstallation over the weekend.
Thanks again guys.

Taff™ 22:41 28 Dec 2006

You`ve missed some! Brand New Computer for Christmas had 67 Critical Updates - Rokerend`s is 4 years old so SP1/SP2 will be at least ..... and then some !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?