Clean Hardive

Molly_Don 14:03 21 Sep 2009

I'm going to donate a laptop, how do I make sure the machine is clean from any personal information first?

TIA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:28 21 Sep 2009

Are you leaving the operating system on it?

If not wipe the hard disk with kill disk click here

If yes do a factory restore then wipe the free space of all hard drives a couple of times you can do this with the latest edition of CCleaner click here

Option - tick boxes for the drives to wipe the spaces and run ccleaner

Molly_Don 19:15 21 Sep 2009

Hi Fruit

No, at present it has Vista on it, but they may purchase Windows 7 once it's released.

*I tried to reply earlier but had a problem with the forums*

Molly_Don 20:30 21 Sep 2009

Can I ask, how do I do a factory restore?

Do I use CC before or after I've done a factory restore?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 21 Sep 2009

you need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.
Windows Installation Disk
NOTE

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the following set of recovery options

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

Use CCleaner after Options - Setting -secure deletion - drop down box set to NSA 7 passes and then run it. After that it will need top security MI6 to get anything off the drive :0)

Jak_1 20:41 21 Sep 2009

Did the laptop come with a restore disk? If so then use that to set the HDD to factory defaults, it will then be the same as the day you took it out of the box. Use Ccleaner after you have done a factory restore.

Molly_Don 20:50 21 Sep 2009

Hi

Cheers for the help so far, no, the laptop did not come with any restore disc or manual.

I bought it from EBuyer it's a HP machine.

Talking to Mrs Molly she may also donate her machine but not until the new year, to save going through this again, will I need a restore disc or manual for her machine? it's a refurb EI system.

Jak_1 21:24 21 Sep 2009

The other way is to simply backup all your data files either to DVD's or an external hard drive and then delete everything that you don't want to leave on the machine. Don't forget email address book! Then run Ccleaner to do a wipe clear space followed by a registry clean, again using Ccleaner. I would also remove any programs that you have installed and hold the licences' for.

Molly_Don 21:38 21 Sep 2009

Hi Jak_1

Just to make sure I understand whaty I'm doing: switch machine on, keep pressing F8 tab, select restore factory settings, run it until factory restore has been reset, then run CC and run as you've suggested.

Molly_Don 03:54 22 Sep 2009

Hi Fruit

I tried what you suggested:

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

Once I pressed the F8 key, it took me into Safe Mode, no Vista operating system was showing, I came out of safe mide.

HP website states:

Do the following actions to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Connect the PC to the AC power adapter.
Close all programs.

Click Start , click All Programs , select System Recovery , and click PC Recovery .

When the recovery options are presented, select the option to perform the PC Recovery and click Next .

The PC will restart.

When the Welcome to PC Recovery message displays, click OK to continue.

On the System Recovery panel, select System Recovery .

By default, the system will perform a complete reformat and will destroy all user data.
Restart the PC when prompted.

Fruit, where it says: "Click Start , click All Programs , select System Recovery , and click PC Recovery"

There is NO "System Recovery" to select, I've searched through "All Programmes" and "System Recovery" is not listed.

Molly_Don 12:58 22 Sep 2009

I'm struggeling, this laptop had a new hard drive I'm unable to locate anything with "HP"

Is there anychance the HP folder is stored somewhere on the system, or will I have to contact HP to get instructions how to do a factory restore?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017