Clean and efficient computer query

gel 11:47 17 Aug 2008

Hi
Recently in this forum some one listed the best free down loads for keeping a computer safe.
Would some one kindly list free down loads for maintaining a clean and efficient computer.
Thank you very much
gel

MarvintheAndroid 12:01 17 Aug 2008

Suggest you do a search of the forums, this question is a regular and will have been answered many times before.

You are presumably looking for Antivirus, Anti-spyware, firewall, backup and system utilities. There is a range of free stuff available in the downloads section of this site.

Finally, free will usually do the job but is not always best, especially when it comes to backup software for example. A lot of the good free stuff is limited demos.

For my money :

Antivirus : Free - Avast! Paid - ESET NOD32
Firewall : Windows XP Firewall is free - or enable harware firewall in your router. Otherwise Zonealarm Pro, Kerio, etc.
Sys Utilities : ASO (Advanced System Optimiser)
Backup : Acronis Trueimage

Not all of this is free, but most has evaluation versions or you may find older but quite serviceable versions on the web.

Marv.

MeandHer 12:02 17 Aug 2008
  gel 12:09 17 Aug 2008

Thank you for your comments.
Perhaps my query was badly put.
I was thinking more in terms of Disk cleaning and deframenting.
gel

MarvintheAndroid 12:12 17 Aug 2008

I use ASO (Advanced System Optimiser) for disk cleaning and either Windows defrag or DiskKeeper for defrag.

Unfortunately these are not free, but you can certainly try before you buy.

Marv

gel 12:46 17 Aug 2008

Thank you for your help
Cheers
gel

bluto1 20:32 17 Aug 2008

cCleaner (Free) excellent disc and registry cleaner. click here

10bit Smart Defrag is a good defragmenter.
click here

They should do the job

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?