Class not registered (0x80040154) error

lenchez 18:27 21 Dec 2009

Internet connection was getting very slow, this coincided with my external hard drive getting full with backups so I deleted all of my vista backups, just leaving my Bullguard backups. Went to restart doing vista backups but kept getting error message "There was an unexpected error: Class not registered (0x800401540" Tried to open system restore to restore to an earlier time but I get the same message.
Any ideas???

GaT7 18:45 21 Dec 2009

Similar error message posted at Microsoft & its forums click here. Hope you're able to find a solution there. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 21 Dec 2009

This is one of MS worse "vague messages" it can mean very many things, usually comes up when dlls not registered or missing codecs for media player.

Any other parts to the error message to help pin it down?

click here

User-1229748 18:47 21 Dec 2009

right click command prompt and run as administator and type sfc /scannow and hit enter.you may be asked to insert your vista disk.

lenchez 20:27 22 Dec 2009

Message appears if I try to restore or do a backup, doesnt say anything else other than previously stated. I ran the sfc /scannow and it went to 100% complete then disappeared so I presume that found nothing. I am now getting another message which appears in the toolbar (red shield with a white cross - NOT a windows security alert though. It states "<ProductShortName>-Snapshot storage is not available" Have ran Malwarebytes and nothing found and its really slowing up my internet.
Thanks for the help up to now. Much appreciated

lenchez 14:58 31 Dec 2009

Tried last known configuration and that did not help tried repair via the installation disk and it doesnt find anything wrong so it cant fix anything.I can feel a format coming.

lenchez 15:23 18 Feb 2010

Nothing I tried worked so I went for the reinstallation. the class not registered errors have gone now though the internet is still slow. Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?