Clam Anti-Virus - How Good Is It

johndrew 17:28 02 Aug 2007

I use Spyware Terminator which offers ClamAV click here as a bolt on goody along with HIPS.

I can understand that HIPS would be handy for anyone using a firewall without the facility (Windows firewall?) but I have little knowledge of AV software other than AVG which I have (very nearly) used since day one.

Can anyone advise how good ClamAV is when compared to other free offerings such as AVG?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 02 Aug 2007

Clam is pretty reasonable have used it as a standalone AV working off a USB pendrive for clearing out affected PCs.

I prefer AVAST or AVG if using on a Normal PC.

Belatucadrus 17:55 02 Aug 2007
  johndrew 19:35 02 Aug 2007

Hmm. I think the answer is `not very`. I must admit I find an AV that fails to keep its signature base up to date a bit suspect - especially with the manner in which `nasties` are continually evolving.

I shall stick with my AVG.

Many thanks.

SB23 19:43 02 Aug 2007

I remember reading that it was to be avoided, and if memory serves me right it can be difficult to get rid of.
I use Avast and don't have any problems with it, so would recommend thats what you go for, but everyone has their favourites, don't they?

Steve

Belatucadrus 19:47 02 Aug 2007

To be fair the the Clam team they do react to new threats fairly quickly, but it's not a full time job for them as it is for the avast! or AVG update teams and that's one of the reasons I don't recommend it.
Though as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says it's handy to have as a pen drive portable App, though I now prefer Dr Web CureIt click here .

johndrew 09:45 03 Aug 2007

Thanks again people.

Dr Web CureIt bookmarked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?