Circular start up

alberto caruso 18:55 19 Aug 2007

My computer Advent 7096 (running XP Home)has started on a circular start up eg when I switch it on it comes up with the message your computer has been switched off.......etc please select method of boot up eg safe mode last know configuration etc, but they all return to this same screen, I have recovery disks but there is data that I require to get from the hard disk but unfortunately recovery disks state that before re installation it would format c: Any suggestions / Ta

Nowl 20:07 19 Aug 2007

Hi alberto

If you have access to another computer, go here to get a file that will make you a boot floppy or CD:
click here

There are more extensive "rescue" disks such as Bart's PE or Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, but you need the files from an XP CD to make one, and as you say you have recovery disks, you probably don't have one. Or you could install your drive as a slave in the second computer and get access to your data that way.

*However* -- before you go ahead and do the recovery, it would be well worth posting again with the exact error message you're getting. It may be that your boot.ini file is damaged or corrupt and that could be easily fixed and save you having to do a complete reinstall.

Hope this helps :-) Let us know how it goes.

--
Nowl

alberto caruso 22:52 20 Aug 2007

Thanks, before I started producing the boot up disc as described, I managed to get a installation disc which had a repair option (CHECKDISC). On running this, it repaired two items and booted to windows on completion.(I managed then to create a back up of the Data required). It was also recommended that this may be spyware related, as I have Mcafee total protection I was sceptical of this but was told to run a free scan and repair from Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner, which is currently running on the slow computer it has been running now for three hours and has all ready found 8 Items and 2 Issues (40% completed).
Once again thanks for the help and will keep you posted on how I get on with the computers speed.

alberto caruso 22:38 22 Aug 2007

Thanks for the help
The computer now works but is still very slow, Still working on a solution for a slow computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?