CiD popup spyware

chocolate cake 23:38 29 May 2008

My brother has been having a problem with lots of popup windows appearing all apparently with CiD in the title and varying from 888.com and other gambling sites or asking if he would like to be matched in love with some skanky bird from Durschestertonhamwich. His son is also getting these.
They operate on a WiFi router one on XP Home with CA Internet security and the other on Vista with Kaspersky AV from the latest edition PCA DVD cover disk. So far I have tried Superantispyware, nolop.exe, spybot and their respective AV and bundled spyware with no success.
I have attempted a fix suggested on another thread concerning Messenger Plus that apparently comes bundled with the CiD add-on. This involved using Add/Remove programs to remove the add-on. None of these fixes have worked. Before I try HijackThis does anyone have experience of this and can offer help to remove the dratted thing?

regards

rdave13 00:05 30 May 2008

Ok. As you have superantispyware already then make sure it's updated. Have a look here; click here .Go to section 4 paragraph 5 and download the universal uninstaller.
Reboot to safemode (without internet connection) and run the uninstaller. Run superantispyware in full scan mode.
Reboot to normal set-up and scan again. Run Ccleaner.

chocolate cake 00:13 30 May 2008

Thanks. I had found that link whilst working at my brothers house. It wouldn't download for ome reason though and I had completely forgotten about it. I've downloaded it to my flash drive and will try to run it tomorrow on his PC. I'll post back then and let you know how I get on.

rdave13 00:17 30 May 2008

Got rid of this legitimate bug with this method on a friends PC and another one's Laptop.
Good luck.

chocolate cake 14:50 01 Jun 2008

One done and no popups yet. Fingers crossed for the next.

chocolate cake 15:24 01 Jun 2008

Second PC now cleaned and no popups. Thanks rdave13 saved me a few grey hairs.

rdave13 17:29 01 Jun 2008

Good work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires