Chunky Graphics using Win 98se

MIKE 09:53 20 Dec 2004

Major help required.
My brother inlaw has an oldish PC about 5 years or so running Win98 SE. He had a graphics problem on his machine which resulted in the PC continualy kept crashing and chunky graphics. He replaced the graphics card for whatI believe is a NVidia mx400. I loaded the driver that came with the card all this seems to do is lock up the machine when it is booting. I removed this driver and used the onboard VGA drivers. I think I am right in saying VGA should give me 16 or 256 colours but I cannot change the amount of colours to 256. I went into control panel,system,device manager to update colours but it will not budge from 16 colours and 640 x 480. Any help would be appreciated.

[email protected] 10:14 20 Dec 2004

Hi Mike. My mate has an old PC running 98 and because it was always playing up asked me to try and help. I found it was fitted with only 96mb of memory when 128mb is the really the minimum for todays programs. Often with older machines, people overlook the minimum requirements - they were OK in their day sort of thing. May be an idea to check what is expected to run on the PC and whether the system is up to it. click here for Home Edition v1.51. It will be a good place to start. Good luck.

Gongoozler 10:37 20 Dec 2004

MIKE, a 5 year old Windows 98 machine should run fine with a NVidia mx400. You don't say what the motherboard is but if its a VIA chipset possibly you need to update the drivers, you could also get more up-to-date drivers for the graphics card. As [email protected] says, 128M RAM is also the minimum for Windows 98 these days.

MIKE 10:39 20 Dec 2004

Thanks [email protected] will check that out

Diemmess 10:50 20 Dec 2004

You say that as a result of a graphics problem, he replaced the graphics card.

I wonder if this is a motherboard which has or had onboard graphics? This would explain the odd figure of 96Mb RAM ie some of it used by the video section of the mobo.

If that was the case, it would be worth making sure the onboard video is disabled in the BIOS

MIKE 11:18 20 Dec 2004

Hi Diemmess thanks for your help it was [email protected] friend who had the 98MB limited memory. I will see how much ram my brother inlaws maxhine is running. Again thanks for every one's help it is really appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?