Chugging PATA IDE Hard Drive

DJ-Garry 14:31 15 Sep 2007

I'm getting a chugging sound from one of my internal HDD drives and it's making the whole system grind to almost halt while it's doing it. They are in an old system (parents) with a Giga-Byte GA-7IXE4 mobo with a Duron 700Mhz cpu and 640Mb P133 SDRAM.
Primary is a 20Gb with XP Pro on it and then a 120Gb secondry on the same IDE 80 core cable. There are two NEC DVD burner on the secong IDE line on 40 core cables. Now at some point I MIGHT of changed the virtual memory setting to use the secondry drive as it had more space but I've been trying to speed this machine up a little by upgrading the CPU (thread link click here) and this chugging noise stated after trying a replacement CPU in it. I've now upglugged the secondry HDD and the two burners and it fine. ie: no chugging and running as fast as the little 700 duron will let it. At one point yesterday i was moving some files from the primary to secondry and then burning an ISO CD-R with NERO with some files from both the Pri & Sec and I got a "cyclic redundancy error" (or something like) that which I think means a disk read error. I have'nt got another pc to try this 120Gb drive on but does it sound like it's on the way out? If so, is ther a restriction on the size of PATA drive I can thro in? Board can do ATA133 I think.

Cheers guys, Garry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 15 Sep 2007

a) Hard drives / IDE Channels:

i) Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

DJ-Garry 16:13 15 Sep 2007

OOh, just noticed an error in device manager.
It's an exclamation mark in a yellow circle next to:

Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Drive Controller

Maybe I should sort this before anything else ???
What should I do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:23 15 Sep 2007

Uninstall IDE controller and reboot.

Let windows find new hardware and reinstall.

DJ-Garry 18:36 15 Sep 2007

Fruit Bat

If i do this, is it likely to ask for the XP installation disc as I have moved and can't find it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:38 15 Sep 2007

No the drivers will be in a folder on the hard drive
c:\windows\Driver cache

DJ-Garry 19:44 15 Sep 2007

Ok. did the windows check disc thing, ticking the auto fix boxes. It took ages but worked perfectly. No chugging, system super fast and no more read errors.

Uninstalled the controller, just the one with the yellow flag and rebooted. After it started it said it had to restart AGAIN, so i did and the yellow flag has returned. It doesnt seem to be effecting anything. What exactly is it for and how SHOULD it effect my system if ti is yellow?

guesswho2 20:04 15 Sep 2007

I have just been reading this and I hope that I'm allowed to break in just to better my understanding of computers.
When I follow the instructions, I find in Device Manager I see: IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and when I click on the + I then get: NVIDIA nForce 2ATA Controller (v2.5).
There's no reference to Primary and Secondary IDE.
Could someone maybe comment on this?
Many thanks.

cream. 20:12 15 Sep 2007

Have you tried running your motherboard driver disk. It now runs XP pro, has it been upgraded to this? click here they are two bios flashes for that board but neither look like a fix for you.:-(

click here

cream. 20:14 15 Sep 2007

You need to start your'e own thread.

Go to the helproom and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Then put your problem in the relevant box.

You will get better results there than breaking into someone elses thread:-)

DJ-Garry 20:26 15 Sep 2007

No i haven't as I havenet got the mobo disk either for the same reason.
As you say bios flashes don't seem to be able to resolve this anyway.

As i mentioned before it doesn't seem to be causing a problem and was only notices atr i had a problem with a HDD that now seems to be fixed.

Would still be nice to clear it up tho !!!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone