Chris Byers again

wossie 04:44 27 Aug 2009

I had reason to question the helproom advice given in PC Advisor in the past and in October's edition (this is August by the way) we have another one. Lisa writes in.....My six month old self built PC won't boot.....Chris replies....as with the previous question your cmos battery is low, (the other one booted fine just that the time and date was wrong). Then we have "it's possible the power supply is causing problems given the age of your machine"............it's six months old. Someone change his medication, or give him some

Chris_Byers 12:07 27 Aug 2009

I'll hold my hands up to that, I must have read 'month' as 'yea'r, especially easy as I have to firstly collate all of the sent problem into a single document (20+ usually) and most mention the age of their systems (look up Top Down Processing and how it works with the human mind!), so when I'm going from one problem to the next sometimes details stick. Anyway, the advice still stands, if it is not the CMOS battery then it could very likely be the power supply at fault, or worse still the motherboard constntly draining the battery!

Stuartli 14:29 27 Aug 2009

We've been many a time through all the reasons why monthly publications are dated one or two months in advance in the past in these forums.

woodchip 14:37 27 Aug 2009

What does that most often is Clear BIOS jumper in Clear position not been set to run

wossie 16:41 28 Aug 2009

Hi again Chris, I took a CMOS battery and "flattened it" to .1 Volt installed in one of my PC's and it booted up fine. In the same issue another PC boots fine but looses the time and date and you blamed the CMOS battery also..............

bremner 17:07 28 Aug 2009

I have known many computers that continue to boot but lose time due to a flattening CMOS battery.

There is very little if anything other than a CMOS battery going flat that will cause a computer to lose time.

Picklefactory 17:10 28 Aug 2009

... I'm just wondering what Mr Byers has done to warrant such specific and microsopic inspection? Seems a tad OTT to me.

Picklefactory 17:11 28 Aug 2009

... microscopic.

FE Edit function, please??? :o)

Yeah, I know... other thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?