Chqdisk

tonyx1302 17:37 15 Jan 2010

How can I stop chqdisk from running every time I log on please

Thanks

Tony

GaT7 17:56 15 Jan 2010

This any help click here? View the other solutions first, rather than the deleting that key in the registry as advised.

Also see the 3rd post at click here by Malkeleah on Monday, December 07, 2009 12:32 PM.

If you eventually go for the registry key deletion in the first link, the location mentioned there should be valid for Vista, Win7 & XP. G

chub_tor 18:00 15 Jan 2010

Is CHKDSK showing in the Start Up Tab of msconfig? If so just disable it.

tonyx1302 18:02 15 Jan 2010

No chub_tor it doesn't show on start up.
Xp with SP3

Curio 18:08 15 Jan 2010

If it is checking first and then booting, what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and you have to unset that bit. Each time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes and check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run" type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and press Enter. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows NOT to check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has loaded, open a Command Prompt window again and perform a Chkdsk manually by typing CHKDSK /F /R C: This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and Windows should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

The above may well sort it.

tonyx1302 20:16 15 Jan 2010

Thank you all.I tried all suggestions and thankfully, Curio post seems to have cured the fault.

Many thanks

Tony

GaT7 20:46 15 Jan 2010

Good to hear.

Btw, my 2nd link had the same suggestion as Curio's. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?