Choosing WiFi Hardwear to suit current setup, help

mountainmachine 23:04 10 Oct 2007

Ok so put the problem onto paper:

[url=click here][img]click here[/img][/url]

I have no issues installing an internal pci card, and i know that will be the cheapest way, just as i'm only used to using wifi on laptops which seem to connect instantly, or my mates computer with a pci which seems to take about 10 mins to connect. I want my sis to be able to turn on her comp and for her to have almost instant access to the web (a few min is ok).

Also the question of id a 802.11g device is connected to an 802.11n network if the whole thing will always run at the slower speed, and if so will this effect the range of the Airport Extreme.

I'm looking into getting her a skype phone which would work without the computer being on, she wont have access to the airport express to plug it into that, so would either need to go through a router or be wireless.

So can you guys give me some suggestions and links to products too, i usually use ebuyer, scan, yoyotech and the usual others.

Ashrich 23:08 13 Oct 2007

How far away will the PC be from the Airport Extreme , and do you know who's wireless N chipset the Airport uses ? As for the Skype phone , you can now buy wireless ones , I think Netgear do one . Going back to the PC , why have a 54g PCI card when you can now get N cards for not too much , PC Next day have got this ..click here

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone