Choosing which drive to boot from

thewasp 18:54 04 Dec 2006

My pc has Windows xp home installed on 2 hard drives.

Obviously I can set the bios to choose which one it boots from but is there any way of making this more straightforward, eg having a menu when starting the pc.

SANTOS7 19:03 04 Dec 2006

Boot Loader tweaking
Right click on My Computer, select Properties. Select the Advanced tab, then the Startup & Recovery button.

Use the Default operating system drop down menu to select the Default Operating System to be loaded during boot-up. This default operating system is loaded assuming a different choice is not selected in the Boot Loader or the timeout for making a selection expires.

Display list of operating systems for. Tick this setting to enable a list of bootable Operating Systems to be displayed during boot-up & the amount of time (In seconds) that the list will be displayed for before loading the Default operating system. This menu can be used to select which Operating System to boot-up each time you start your computer.

thewasp 13:37 05 Dec 2006

Thanks santos7, but I need to choose which hd to boot from as it is only recognising the Windows which is on the main hd.

keithlik 14:14 05 Dec 2006

I have two hard drives but only one Windows XP installed on one of the drives. Applications on both drives work OK.

When I first used XP I had this on one drive and Windows 98SE on the other. I was automatically given the coice between XP and 98 on start up. Dont know if this will help but All the best.

thewasp 15:28 05 Dec 2006

Think it's down to the motherboard - I can enter the boot priority by pressing f11 on startup, but is there any way to get it to come up automatically? The mb is an asrock kv7vt4a pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?